1. Job description
Lawyer at the Akwaba Mousso Center
Care for women and children who are victims of violence
Presentation of the structure
The main objectives of the Akwaba Mousso association are to:
- To offer free, caring and confidential coordinated holistic care to survivors of GBV, including medical, psychological, legal, judicial, self-esteem enhancement, autonomy and vocational guidance, and case management follow-up;
- To provide the most vulnerable women and their children with a safe, functional shelter;
- Conduct information, prevention and community outreach activities on women’s fundamental rights, to help change social norms and make GBV unacceptable;
- Generate new knowledge on tools and methodologies to improve the holistic care of GBV survivors, as well as on women’s health issues (sexual and reproductive health and rights – SRHR; menstrual hygiene).
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Legal Officer plays a crucial role in the Akwaba Mousso Center, providing comprehensive legal support to women and children who are victims of violence. Its aim is to inform, listen, coordinate and monitor procedures initiated by or on behalf of survivors, and to ensure that internal procedures comply with current legislation.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Listen carefully to women and children who are victims of violence.
- Inform survivors (and their families in the case of minors) about their rights, possible legal proceedings and the associated risks.
- Facilitate informed decision-making by victims and their families in the case of minors.
- Coordinate the follow-up of survivors with other members of the center’s violence prevention team.
- Ensure that individual files are complete with the necessary evidence and consent.
4.communication of legal proceedings
- Work closely with the courts and the legal team to ensure the success of legal proceedings.
- Ensure that survivors are regularly informed of the progress of procedures.
5 Legislative watch
- Keep abreast of legislative advances concerning the rights of women and children who are victims of violence.
- Adapting the support offered by Akwaba Mousso to legal innovations
6.Compliance of internal procedures
- Ensure that the Akwaba Mousso Center’s internal procedures comply with current legislation.
- Update internal protocols in the event of legislative changes.
- Law degree, ideally with a specialization in women’s and children’s law.
- At least 5 years’ experience in providing legal support to victims of violence.
- Excellent communication and coordination skills.
- Sensitivity to the problems of women and children who are victims of violence.
- Empathy, discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
Location: Palmeraie, Cocody, Abidjan
Full-time: office hours, flexible as needed.
Contract: service provision, then fixed-term contract for one year, renewable
Salary to be discussed depending on experience.
This job description may evolve according to the needs of the Akwaba Mousso Center.
Send your application (CV, covering letter and two references to email@example.com) by January 8, 2024.