Akwaba Mousso (“Welcome to the woman” in Akan and Dioula languages) is an NGO that aims to provide care for survivors of gender-based violence (GBV). Its main objectives are:
- to offer free, confidential and caring services to GBV survivors, providing them with holistic care (medical, psychosocial, legal, judicial, professional orientation), in order to give them the tools to (re)become active in their own lives, and to act with self-determination by allowing them to assert and defend their fundamental rights;
- to house the most vulnerable survivors with their children in a secure building;
- to contribute to changing social norms and policies;
- Generate new knowledge on tools and methodologies to improve the holistic management of GBV survivors and on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) for scaling up the model.
Our vision is to make the Akwaba Mousso center a place where survivors of GBV in Côte d’Ivoire receive adequate support to rebuild themselves physically and emotionally, and are equipped to prepare their future and that of their children.
Thus, in the first half of 2023, we will open a shelter and a day care center dedicated to women victims of domestic, intra-family, psychological or sexual violence, in a three-story building in the commune of Cocody, in Abidjan.
We will set up the center’s consultation, listening and meeting rooms, as well as our offices, on the first floor. The two floors will house a shelter dedicated to the most vulnerable, with their children (27 adult places – 12 children), for a period of six months (renewable).
Akwaba Mousso is recruiting for its activities, a
Type of employment: 1 year fixed term contract (full time) renewable
Hierarchical position: reporting to the Executive Director
Location of the position: Ivory Coast, Abidjan
Level required: BAC+5
Remuneration according to experience
Main missions of the position
The operations manager is the guarantor of the deployment of Akwaba Mousso’s operational strategy and the implementation of its response to GBV in accordance with the statutory purpose and the association’s charter. In agreement with the Executive Director, he/she will engage the responsibility of the association in the following missions
– Manage contracts and relationships with funders;
– Write and participate in operations proposals;
– Write interim and final reports for funders;
– Develop and ensure the proper management of the association’s budget with the support of the administrative and financial manager;
– To incur expenses related to operational projects in agreement with the administrative and financial manager;
– Define the human resource requirements for the functioning of the team and for the implementation of field operations in agreement with the Executive Director;
– To ensure the proper management of the programs and missions under its responsibility and to decide on the responses to be provided in case of difficulty;
– Ensure the implementation of and compliance with internal and external procedures as well as the association’s policies on missions in coordination with the Executive Director and the Administrative and Financial Manager;
– Ensure the proper organization and functioning of the teams under his responsibility;
– To ensure the proper functioning of the services offered by Akwaba Mousso;
– To represent the association with its institutional and private partners, and the networks to which it belongs.
Activities and tasks
The Operations Manager is the guarantor of the proper implementation and respect of the internal procedures of the association and the regulations of our institutional partners. In this capacity, he/she will assume the following tasks
– Participate in the Board of Directors in the absence of the Executive Director;
– Managing your teams;
– Define and implement the operational strategy;
-Develop the association’s operational response within the existing missions;
– To pilot procedures and management tools;
– Actively participate in representing the association to technical and financial partners.
In the Executive Board of the association
– Participate in periodic and special meetings of the Executive Board of the association to report on the activities of the center;
– Participate in the development of annual and multi-year programming, its implementation and monitoring;
– To define (in an advisory capacity) the development and main strategic orientations of the association;
– Participate in the construction of budgetary hypotheses as well as in the definition of human and technical resource requirements to achieve the objectives of the program;
– Participate in the analysis of situations impacting the association as a whole, collaborate in the arbitration of essential decisions for the evolution of the association and participate in particular in the monitoring, alerting and arbitration of risks relating to the security of teams, project financing and possible litigation;
– Participate in the advancement of cross-departmental projects.
Management and coordination
– Manage the construction of the annual action plan in accordance with the association’s programming, set the objectives of its teams, ensure the proper implementation of the action plans and review them on a semi-annual basis, analyze any discrepancies, propose and monitor the implementation of the necessary corrective measures;
– Directly manage the people under his/her responsibility (six people at the start of the activities), participate in their recruitment, contribute to their continuous training, and carry out professional appraisal interviews on a regular basis (semi-annual and annual);
– Lead meetings within his/her team and participate in inter-departmental meetings, ensure the proper flow of information within his/her team and coordination with other departments of the association as well as with all missions under his/her responsibility;
– Support his/her team on a daily basis on the needs that are communicated to him/her, arbitrate and make decisions that he/she deems necessary;
– Analyze the activity of his department, anticipate the needs and propose changes in the organization of his team;
– Propose and supervise the implementation of operational capitalization projects in coordination with the Executive Director and ensure their internal dissemination;
– Validate and follow up on the absences of team members as well as their travels in the field and other visits to donors and partners of the association;
– Manage any conflicts within the team and with other departments of the association;
– Encourage continuous training of its teams;
– Develops the annual budget and ensures its proper management.
Definition of the operational strategy and implementation
– Oversee the operational strategy development process through to the association’s multi-year operational strategy for submission to the Executive Director, Executive Board and Board of Directors;
– Arbitrate operational priorities across all missions (when necessary, and in agreement with the Executive Director);
– Take part in the animation of the network of partners of the association, and in the identification of potential fruitful partnerships for the association;
– Anticipate, analyze and alert the Executive Director on risks related to the operational activity, in its programmatic, security and financial aspects.
Development of the Association’s operational response within the existing missions
– Stimulate the development of the association’s operational response, within its framework of intervention, in coordination with the Executive Director and the Executive Board;
– Oversee the implementation of the association’s response to these new needs;
– Ensure the optimization of funds and means allocated by the Executive Director for the implementation of operational development actions;
– Oversee the successful integration of newly opened missions within his/her team in coordination with the administrative and financial manager.
Representation and communication
– Play an active role in the operational positioning of the association with its regular donors in conjunction with the Executive Director;
– Participate in the regular representation of the association with its humanitarian, institutional, private and civil partners and networks in which the association is involved (in coordination with the Executive Director). In this capacity, he/she participates in transversal and thematic coordination meetings set up by the various partners;
– Stimulate the timely development of communication actions around the missions and transversal and/or thematic positioning of the association and validate the orientations in agreement with the executive director.
Diploma and training : BAC+5
– Previous experience in a similar position and/or as a geographical manager at the headquarters of a national or international solidarity NGO;
– Proven experience in managing projects funded by institutional donors (United Nations agencies, USAID, AFD etc);
– Leadership and excellent managerial skills;
– Taste for the representation, sense of relationship;
– Excellent writing and presentation skills in French;
– Understanding of the English language is a minimum;
– Strategic analysis and thinking skills;
– Perfect command of office automation tools, especially Excel;
– Driver’s license.
– Flexibility, reactivity, adaptability, pragmatism.
– Rigor, organization.
– Good resistance to stress.
– Availability to travel on assignments
Previous experience of eight years in international solidarity.