Akwaba Mousso (“Welcome to the woman” in Akan and Dioula languages) is an NGO that provides care for survivors of gender-based violence (GBV). Its main objectives are:
- to offer free, confidential and caring services to GBV survivors, providing them with holistic care (medical, psychosocial, legal, judicial, professional orientation), in order to give them the tools to (re)become active in their own lives, and to act with self-determination by allowing them to assert and defend their fundamental rights;
- to house the most vulnerable survivors with their children in a secure building;
- to contribute to changing social norms and policies;
- Generate new knowledge on tools and methodologies to improve the holistic management of GBV survivors and on sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) for scaling up the model.
Our vision is to make the Akwaba Mousso center a place where survivors of GBV in Côte d’Ivoire receive adequate support to rebuild themselves physically and emotionally, and are equipped to prepare their future and that of their children.
Thus, in the first half of 2023, we will open a shelter and a day care center dedicated to women victims of domestic, intra-family, psychological or sexual violence, in a three-story building in the commune of Cocody, in Abidjan.
We will set up the center’s consultation, listening and meeting rooms, as well as our offices, on the first floor. The two floors will house a shelter dedicated to the most vulnerable, with their children (27 adult places – 12 children), for a period of six months (renewable).
Akwaba Mousso is recruiting for its activities, a
Type of employment : 1 year fixed term contract (full time) renewable
Hierarchical position : reporting to the operations manager
Job location : Ivory Coast, Abidjan
Level required: BAC+3
Remuneration according to experience
Under the hierarchical supervision of the Operations Manager, the Social Assistant is the focal point for the beneficiaries of Akwaba Mousso’s program and is one of the guarantors of the association’s values.
The social worker has a central referral function with the women beneficiaries. She is an integral part of the Akwaba Mousso organization and participates in team and institutional meetings. In this capacity, the social worker ensures that the women beneficiaries are well received, by transmitting relevant information on the Akwaba Mousso program and by ensuring their consent at each stage of the process.
He/she makes sure that each woman who enters Akwaba Mousso finds an answer to each of her concerns. As part of his/her duties, he/she may lead activities within a project validated by the management team.
Activities and tasks
The main activities of the social worker are :
– Conduct intake and administrative file opening interviews for each Akwaba Mousso beneficiary;
– To assess the needs of women and children and to carry out any action in order to meet them;
– Work in collaboration with the operational care team in order to set up a personalized accompaniment for each beneficiary (woman and child) and/or with its partners;
– Follow up on the actions with the beneficiaries;
– Ensure that each beneficiary’s file is up to date, including consent forms;
– Support, follow and accompany women in their efforts;
– To build with the women, the Akwaba Mousso teams and the partners solutions to get out of domestic violence;
– Make home visits;
– Coordinate and organize the different procedures;
– Ensure the reporting of activities.
N.B. : This list is not exhaustive
Diploma and training
BAC +3; State diploma of social worker
– Knowledge of domestic violence and violence against women ;
– Knowledge of safety and accommodation facilities ;
– Knowledge of legal and judicial procedures and child protection systems ;
– Knowing how to welcome and listen;
– Knowing how to explain one’s motivation to work in the fight against GBV;
– Master the office automation and computer management tools (internet, word, excel, powerpoint, outlook…) ;
A driver’s license will be considered an asset.
– Ability to exchange and communicate with other professionals ;
– Teamwork skills ;
– Good writing skills ;
– Strong relationship skills ;
– Autonomy, adaptability ;
– Sense of analysis and synthesis of information ;
– Know how to manage priorities.
At least five years.
Your CV and motivation (letter or other) should be sent to email@example.com with the subject line “Application for social worker”.
Desired start date: 20/03/2023
Application deadline: 06/02/2023
N.B. : Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply